We get asked a lot and with the advent of computers and electronics in almost every part of a vehicle … its kind of hard to answer.
Most people who need us don’t know it because their car has stopped running properly and they take it to a mechanic … but with so much of the car relient on electronics, they often bring it to us to work on.
We found this info which sums some of it on a government job site.
Automotive electricians install, maintain and repair electrical wiring and computer-based equipment in motor vehicles, caravans, trailers, earthmoving equipment, mining equipment and agricultural equipment.
Automotive electricians may perform the following tasks:
- work with computer-controlled engine management systems
- service, identify and repair faults on electronically controlled vehicle systems such as electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, anti-lock braking, cruise control, automatic transmission, airbags and air conditioning
- install electrical equipment such as gauges, lighting, alternators and starter motors in vehicles
- install electrically operated accessories such as radios, heating or demisting equipment, air conditioners, driving lamps and anti-theft systems
- refer to circuit diagrams, and use meters and test instruments to find electrical faults
- adjust engine control systems and timing to ensure vehicles are running at peak performance
- test, recondition and replace faulty alternators, generators, starter motors and related items such as voltage regulators and batteries
- repair or replace faulty ignition, electrical wiring, fuses, lamps and switches
- use hand tools, specialised electrical tools, instruments and machines, including drills, grinders, presses and lathes
- solder or weld when repairing electrical parts
- sell and install electrical parts and accessories
- install, repair and service air conditioning systems.
If you think that you need an Autoelectrician, give us a call today on 3269 3158